Social Media Facts and Statistics You Should Know in 2016
- Saturday, 12 November 2016
- Jeanette Jaydee
Social media is here to stay. Reach new customers & amplify your brand with our social media marketing. It is a fact of the internet that every click, view and sign-up is recorded somewhere.
How does the social media channels look in 2016?
The quick truth is that it can be summed up in one word, “mobile”. Smartphone penetration has soared as it the devices have become more affordable and the wireless networks more ubiquitous and faster.
Social Media Users in 2016 – Social Media Networks
SOCIAL MEDIA USERS IN 2016
- FACEBOOK Just over 1.6 Billion
- Second is Youtube with 1 Billion users
- Followed by Google+ with more than 440 Million Users
- The rest of the bigger social networks stats are in the image above.
GLOBAL DIGITAL STATISTICS IN 2016
There are now 7.3 billion people on the planet and of those the following numbers make interesting reading.
- There are just over 3.1 billion active Internet users (45% of the world’s internet users)
- Nearly 2.3 billion people have social media accounts
- 3.75 billion mobile users have access to the internet via smartphones and tablets
- Close to 1.8 billion people have active social media accounts
Mobile social media facts
So the mobile phone has made the web accessible for almost everyone.
- In India mobile devices account for 72% of all web site traffic
- There are 1.65 billion active mobile social accounts globally
- 561 million active mobile social accounts are located in East Asia
Social Media Channel Statistics in 2016
You may scream at Facebook for its dominance and arrogance. But it can’t be ignored.
Tall poppies are easy targets but the reality is that Facebook has cracked the social network code. It’s the ultimate beta business. Testing features in real time and snapping up online apps that push the boundaries of use experience in a world that is about digital disruption.
- Facebook has reached 1.65billion active users monthly.
- More than 56% of all Internet users are on Facebook
- 4.5 billion likes are generated daily
- 29% of the users are between 25 and 34 years old
- Largest Gender group is Woman
- Direct uploads of user videos to Facebook now exceed YouTube
Ever since the first Tweet was sent, Twitter has been clocking up some impressive numbers. All of the Twitter statistics and facts you will ever need to know
- Twitter has 325 million active users at last count
- 88% of Twitter users are on mobile
- 77 percent are outside the USA.
- 69,445 users are active on Twiter per minute
- They send 347,000 tweets per minute
- 500 million tweets send per day
Yes, it’s 2016, and we’re still talking about Google+. Maybe you thought this social media network was dead and buried? If you’re under that impression, look with us at a few stats and facts that might make you re-think your view of Google+.
- 500 million active users
- 28% of Google+ users are age 15-34
- 26.3% of Google+ users are female
- 73.7% of Google+ users are male
- 40% of marketers use Google+
- 70% of brands have a presence on Google+
- Google+ users spend an average of 3:46 per visit
- 22% of online adults visit Google+ at least once a month
- 30% of smartphone users utilize the Google+ app at least once a month
- The +1 button is hit 5 billion times per day
Facebook owns this network. They saw that social and mobile were a powerful intersection of synergies. Instagram is a big deal. The mobile-first photo app focused on visual inspiration is taking on the world in 2016.
- Instagram has 430 million users
- Instagram users have shared over 40 billion photos up to date
- Share an average of 95 million photos and videos per day
- Instagram users “like” 4.2 billion posts per day
- Instagram is used by 31% of American women and 24% of men
- Age group that uses the most: 16 and 24 years old (41%)
Instagram for business statistics
- Instagram is used by 48.8%of brands— in 2017 it is expected to rise to 70.7%
- Top brands post 4.9 times per week on Instagram, 50% increase from 2015
Pinterest has made the pinboard a virtual activity. It’s female centric and very visual. Pinterest is one of the world's fastest growing social media platforms.
- 110 million users are on Pinterest
- Out of this number, 56% of them are females and the rest of 44% are males.
- Users pin 9800 images per minute
- Pinterest has over 75 billion Pins and 1.5 billion boards
- 80% of all Pinners access Pinterest via a mobile device
- Pinterest Drives More Traffic to Publishers Than Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit Combined
YouTube is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. To some of you, YouTube is just this place where you can watch music videos, how-to guides for things you’re trying to do, or to just watch something funny.
It’s an enormous sea of information and entertainment run by everyday kids, entertaining weirdos, people teaching stuff, brands and everyone in between
- The total number of people who use YouTube – 1,300,000,000.
- 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute!
- Almost 5 billion videos are watched on Youtube every single day.
- In an average month, 8 out of 10 18-49 year-olds watch YouTubeNumber of Users: Billion active worldwide
- The total number of hours of video watched on YouTube each month – 3.25 billion
- The average number of mobile YouTube video views per day is 1,000,000,000
- Female users are 38% and male users are 62%.
- User Percentage by Age 18-24 – 11%, 25-34 – 23%, 35-44 – 26%, 45-54 – 16%, 50-64 – 8%, 65+ – 3%, unknown age – 14%.
- Mobile Youtube users spent 40 minutes on average session, up more than 50% year-over-year
- More than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices